At Pasua Health Centre you can do your healthcare elective or internship in Moshi Town, which is located in the beautiful Kilimanjaro region of northern Tanzania. While gaining valuable work experience for your studies you will also be supporting the hardworking and friendly staff in providing healthcare for the local community, all whilst developing your intercultural skills. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery.
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
Pasua Health Centre has a maternity department (ante-natal, childbirths, post-natal, family planning), an outpatient department, paediatric department, General Medicine/Internal Medicine department, CTC (Care & Treatment Clinic for HIV-positive patients), and a laboratory. Twice per week treatments for hypertension, diabetes and tuberculosis are offered. During the first week of every month the hospital runs a mental health/psychiatric outpatient service.
Pasua Health Centre is a public hospital located in the Pasua Area of Moshi Town. It typically serves Moshi residents of underprivileged social class, many of whom live close to the poverty line. The treatment costs are relatively low. Children of up to 5 years get free treatment at the centre, just like senior citizens of above 60 years.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Students of medicine, nursing and midwifery can do an elective placement or internship, either in just one department, or they can rotate through various departments. They will be assigned to a supervising physician or nurse who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, which might include drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks. The usual work hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm, but it is also possible to work on weekends.
Interns/elective students/volunteers should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and hood.
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Student of relevant field.
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- Weekly hospital contribution of 150,000 TSH (approx. 63 USD/55 EUR) to the Municipal Council. Additionally, a one-time registration fee at the Municipal Council of 50 USD applies.
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro International Airport on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Moshi,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania".
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.