At Clinique Assalam you can do your healthcare elective or internship in this private hospital of the highest standards in the charming coastal city of Tangier. You will gain valuable work experience for your studies by assisting the highly skilled staff and learning from specialists, all whilst developing your intercultural skills. In your free time you can enjoy the beaches, visit scenic viewpoints from the hills surrounding the city, discover the old, historic town and the lively nightlife.
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
Neurosurgery, urology, ENT, paediatrics, gynaecology, general medicine and emergencies. The hospital has 3 surgery theatres.
Clinique Assalam is a private clinic of the highest standards in Tangier. It was founded in 2007 by 6 doctors of Moroccan origin who had all studied in Belgium and whose vision it was to establish a clinic of European standard in Tangier: Dr. Takkal and Dr. Shergi who are general surgeons, Dr. Mansur and Dr. Akalay who are traumatologists, Dr. Zaidi who is a cardiologist, and Dr. Ktari who is an anaesthetist. Most of the doctors can speak English; all of them speak French, some speak Spanish. Most of the nurses can speak French, but not English, some speak Spanish. Language skills of the patients are like in Moroccan society (native language Darija/Arabic, people of better education speak French and in Tangiers many speak Spanish). French language skills are an advantage, but not a requirement.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Students will be under the supervision of one of the clinic’s doctors who can assign them small tasks depending on the interns’ knowledge. Students and volunteers usually work from 9-12 am and from 2-6 pm, but it is also possible to start earlier.
Interns should bring their own medical coat/tunic, trouser and closed shoes; special surgery clothes will be provided and washed by the hospital.
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Health insurance valid for internships abroad.
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
-Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- In case of duration of stay of more than 90 days, costs for extension of entrance stamp/visa,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Tangier (TNG) Airport, Sea Port (Tangier Ville), bus or train station, on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Tangier,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 20Dh. airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Morocco (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.