At COMBASE Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the vibrant valley city of Cochabamba in Bolivia. Experience Bolivia's authentic culture while gaining valuable work experience for your studies and assisting in a busy, charitable hospital. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, and physiotherapy. Pre-medical and pre-nursing internships are also possible!
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
The hospital has departments of General Medicine, Family Medicine, Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Urology, Otolaryngology, Neurology, Dermatology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Urology, Psychiatry/Psychology, Dentistry and Physiotherapy. The hospital also has a laboratory, X-ray and ultrasound and an on-site pharmacy.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Interns will normally be working from Monday to Friday. Interns can either be at one department only or rotate through multiple departments. During your placement you will observe and assist the staff on your ward in their daily work. After a familiarisation and orientation phase you may (depending on your previous knowledge) also carry out minor treatments and activities under the supervision of the attending physicians, nurses or therapists, e.g. drug delivery, wound care, vital signs measurements, vaccinations and other assistance activities. You will be assigned a supervisor from your area of specialisation, who will decide which examinations and treatments you are allowed to carry out under supervision to the patient. It may also be possible to join outreach programs, which take place in 5 different locations in the outskirts of Cochabamba, where doctors carry out screenings and treatments.
Interns should bring their own hospital clothes; white scrubs and closed shoes of any colour. It is also advised to bring your own hand sanitiser and your own stethoscope. If working in the operating theatre you should bring surgical clothing (green or blue), a surgical mask and surgical cap.
Minimum qualification of the intern:
There are no minimum academic qualifications required for pre-medical or pre-nursing internships. However, basic Spanish is required.
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks 876.11 USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- $150 monthly project (hospital) contribution,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants,
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cochabamba Airport (CBB) on arrival and departure,
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in La Paz or ViruViru,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and Introduction in Cochabamba,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport,
(Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organisations charge further contributions).