At COMBASE Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the vibrant valley city of Cochabamba in Bolivia. Experience Bolivia's authentic culture while gaining valuable work experience for your studies and assisting in a busy, charitable hospital. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, and physiotherapy. Pre-medical and pre-nursing internships are also possible!
Click on the pictures
- Country: Bolivia
- City: Cochabamba
- Departments available for internship: The hospital has departments of General Medicine, Family Medicine, Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Paediatrics, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Urology, Otolaryngology, Neurology, Dermatology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Urology, Psychiatry/Psychology, Dentistry and Physiotherapy. The hospital also has a laboratory, X-ray and ultrasound and an on-site pharmacy.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital:
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital:
- Number of assistant physicians:
- Number of nurses:
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff:
- Hospital description - further details:
- Number of total beds at inpatient department 15 beds available for inpatient admission.
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients The hospital treats around 100 outpatients per day, so approximately 36500 patients annually.
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Interns will normally be working from Monday to Friday. Interns can either be at one department only or rotate through multiple departments.
During your placement you will observe and assist the staff on your ward in their daily work. After a familiarisation and orientation phase you may (depending on your previous knowledge) also carry out minor treatments and activities under the supervision of the attending physicians, nurses or therapists, e.g. drug delivery, wound care, vital signs measurements, vaccinations and other assistance activities. You will be assigned a supervisor from your area of specialisation, who will decide which examinations and treatments you are allowed to carry out under supervision to the patient. It may also be possible to join outreach programs, which take place in 5 different locations in the outskirts of Cochabamba, where doctors carry out screenings and treatments.
- What to bring: Interns should bring their own hospital clothes; white scrubs and closed shoes of any colour.
It is also advised to bring your own hand sanitiser and your own stethoscope.
If working in the operating theatre you should bring surgical clothing (green or blue), a surgical mask and surgical cap.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: There are no minimum academic qualifications required for pre-medical or pre-nursing internships.
However, basic Spanish is required.
- Documents required:
- Application process:
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more