At Bugando Medical Centre you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the largest hospital in Western Tanzania. The hospital is located in Mwanza in the beautiful Lake Victoria Region of Tanzania. You will gain valuable work experience for your studies by assisting the local staff who serve a population of around 13 million people. Furthermore, you will get a chance to develop your intercultural skills in Tanzania's second largest city and discover the breathtaking scenery in the surrounding region.
Click on the pictures
- Country: Tanzania
- City: Mwanza
- Departments available for internship: Internal Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Urology, ENT, Gynaecology/Obstetrics, Psychiatry and anaesthesia.
There are currently two resident doctors from the US at internal medicine who will mentor elective students in this ward; other departments have English-speaking Tanzanian doctors and staff. The psychiatry ward is rather small (one chief psychiatrist and an assistant). Students can combine several departments during their elective/final year rotation.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital:
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital:
- Number of assistant physicians:
- Number of nurses:
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff:
- Hospital description - further details: Bugando Medical Centre (BMC) is the tertiary referral hospital of the Lake Victoria Zone and Western regions, serving a population of around 13 million people.
The 900-bed hospital was built by the Catholic Church and was officially opened in 1971. Since 2003, it is also the teaching hospital of the Bugando University College of Health Sciences. The hospital accepts 5th and 6th year foreign medical students for electives and final year rotations. The hospital has exchange programs with several foreign universities, including Cornell University New York, North Western University Chicago, University of Salzburg/Austria and University of Würzburg/ Germany. There are foreign physicians and students who work permanently at Bugando Medical Centre.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Interns usually work Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Every morning starts with a one-hour meeting, where the program for the day is discussed. Interns will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse whom they will shadow and who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.
- What to bring: Interns should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes which they should only wear on the hospital premises (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: 4th year of medical studies.
- Documents required: CV, Letter of Recommendation from Med School, Transcript of Records, Police Clearance, Copy of Student ID, copy of passport and letter of motivation.
- Application process: After the student has sent all the necessary application documents, as well as potential ward and accommodation preferences, these will be submitted to the hospital. Usually the placement can be confirmed within one week, sometimes faster.
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more