At Bugando Medical Centre you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the largest hospital in Western Tanzania. The hospital is located in Mwanza in the beautiful Lake Victoria Region of Tanzania. You will gain valuable work experience for your studies by assisting the local staff who serve a population of around 13 million people. Furthermore, you will get a chance to develop your intercultural skills in Tanzania's second largest city and discover the breathtaking scenery in the surrounding region.
Departments available for intership:
Internal Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Urology, ENT, Gynaecology/Obstetrics, Psychiatry and anaesthesia. There are currently two resident doctors from the US at internal medicine who will mentor elective students in this ward; other departments have English-speaking Tanzanian doctors and staff. The psychiatry ward is rather small (one chief psychiatrist and an assistant). Students can combine several departments during their elective/final year rotation.
Bugando Medical Centre (BMC) is the tertiary referral hospital of the Lake Victoria Zone and Western regions, serving a population of around 13 million people. The 900-bed hospital was built by the Catholic Church and was officially opened in 1971. Since 2003, it is also the teaching hospital of the Bugando University College of Health Sciences. The hospital accepts 5th and 6th year foreign medical students for electives and final year rotations. The hospital has exchange programs with several foreign universities, including Cornell University New York, North Western University Chicago, University of Salzburg/Austria and University of Würzburg/ Germany. There are foreign physicians and students who work permanently at Bugando Medical Centre.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Interns usually work Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Every morning starts with a one-hour meeting, where the program for the day is discussed. Interns will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse whom they will shadow and who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.
Interns should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes which they should only wear on the hospital premises (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.
Minimum age, maximum age:
Minimum qualification of the intern:
4th year of medical studies.
CV, Letter of Recommendation from Med School, Transcript of Records, Police Clearance, Copy of Student ID, copy of passport and letter of motivation.
After the student has sent all the necessary application documents, as well as potential ward and accommodation preferences, these will be submitted to the hospital. Usually the placement can be confirmed within one week, sometimes faster.
Costs per week:
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
Costs per month:
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
Costs per year:
- 1 year USD
- Hospital contribution of $40 per week,
- One time hospital enrolment fee of $55,
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
-Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro International Airport on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Mwanza,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania".
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.
Request more information
I'm interested in a placement at this hospital. Please send me more information