At Mount Meru Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship and experience how healthcare is provided in a busy public referral hospital in one of the bigger cities in Tanzania. You will support local staff in managing the large patient numbers despite scarce resources while gaining valuable work (and life) experience. Elective placements and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy. The location of Arusha means that you will have the opportunity to explore the Tanzanian culture from one of the biggest cities in the northern region, which is also known as the safari capital of the country.
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
General medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology (including mother and child pre- and post-natal care, family planning), Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Radiology, Pathology, Mental Health, Anaesthesia, Physiotherapy, Laboratory, Intensive Care Unit, Care & Treatment Centre (CTC) for HIV/AIDS patients, and pharmacy.
Mount Meru Regional Hospital in the city centre of Arusha is the main public and regional referral hospital for the Mount Meru, Arusha and Lake Manyara regions. All smaller district hospitals and many private hospitals refer patients to this large hospital, which is located opposite of the Arusha International Conference Centre.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Students of medicine and nursing can do an elective placement or internship at one department or they can rotate through several departments. They will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks. The usual working hours are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3:30 pm including one hour of lunch break. If you want, you can also work on Saturdays and Sundays, and you can do night shifts.
Interns/elective students/volunteers should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Student of relevant field.
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- Weekly hospital contribution of 50 USD.
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to airport on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Arusha,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university,
- Costs for 10 seedlings of indigenous trees that we plant on the slopes of Kilimanjaro,
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania".
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.