Do your healthcare elective or internship by assisting in a local hospital on a tropical paradise island! In Zanzibar you can gain valuable healthcare work experience for your studies while supporting healthcare provision for the local community. If you are a student of Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutics or Physiotherapy you can do your elective or internship at the state hospital Mnazi Mmoja while making a meaningful contribution and developing your intercultural skills. When you are not working hard at the hospital you can spend your free time relaxing and rewinding while looking over the Indian Ocean or exploring the vibrant Swahili culture.
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
Paediatrics (there are two wards, one for children from 0-3 years old and one from 3-12 years old), Gynaecology, Internal Medicine (Gastrology, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Nephrology), Surgery, Dermatology, Dental, Intensive Care Unit, HIV-Ward, Leprosy Ward (those interested in the leprosy ward need proof of vaccination against tuberculosis), Neurosurgery, Radiology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Acupuncture, Emergency Services, Physio- and Occupational Therapy. For students of pharmaceutics, it is also possible to do a clinical elective in the hospital's pharmacy.
Mnazi Mmoja is the main hospital on the archipelago of Zanzibar. It is located at the Mnazi Mmoja area just outside Stone Town, the historic centre of Zanzibar Town. The department of Internal Medicine is separated by wards for women and men, each with 3 female and male physicians and clinical officers. Mnazi Mmoja, Mental Hospital and Mwembeladu Maternity Hospital have a total capacity of 510 beds; out of which 64 beds are in the Internal Medicine ward. The department of occupational therapy has a focus on (but is not limited to) children who have neurological disorders. Mnazi Mmoja has been running a successful elective program for foreign students for many years. The hospital also operates an acupuncture department. It is a well-integrated component of Mnazi Mmoja's treatment of certain problems including chronic pains, depression, impotence and the effects of a stroke. The department has already been founded in the 1960's and is famous in the whole of East Africa. Patients are not only travelling to Zanzibar from the Tanzanian mainland, but even from the neighbouring countries. Placements are possible for participants who want to learn about acupuncture as well as for specialists for whom the application of acupuncture in Africa will certainly also be a new experience.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
The minimum working hours at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital for elective students are Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m., but they can also stay in the afternoons. Every Thursday at 7:30 p.m., there is a meeting between the elective student and his/her supervising physician.
Students should bring their own white coat, clean shoes (clogs or new sneakers), single-use gloves, and if you want to join surgery, you should also bring scrubs, hairnet and surgical mask.
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Must be a student of the relevant field.
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- 100 USD per week contribution to hospital,
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Zanzibar International Airport on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Zanzibar,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania".
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Zanzibar (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.