At Mount Meru Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship and experience how healthcare is provided in a busy public referral hospital in one of the bigger cities in Tanzania. You will support local staff in managing the large patient numbers despite scarce resources while gaining valuable work (and life) experience.
Elective placements and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy. The location of Arusha means that you will have the opportunity to explore the Tanzanian culture from one of the biggest cities in the northern region, which is also known as the safari capital of the country.
Click on the pictures
- Country: Tanzania
- City: Arusha
- Departments available for internship: General medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology (including mother and child pre- and post-natal care, family planning), Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Radiology, Pathology, Mental Health, Anaesthesia, Physiotherapy, Laboratory, Intensive Care Unit, Care & Treatment Centre (CTC) for HIV/AIDS patients, and pharmacy.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital: 25
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital: 3
- Number of assistant physicians: 15
- Number of nurses: 117
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff: 1
- Hospital description - further details: Mount Meru Regional Hospital in the city centre of Arusha is the main public and regional referral hospital for the Mount Meru, Arusha and Lake Manyara regions. All smaller district hospitals and many private hospitals refer patients to this large hospital, which is located opposite of the Arusha International Conference Centre.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department 450
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Students of medicine and nursing can do an elective placement or internship at one department or they can rotate through several departments. They will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.
The usual working hours are Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3:30 pm including one hour of lunch break. If you want, you can also work on Saturdays and Sundays, and you can do night shifts.
- What to bring: Interns/elective students/volunteers should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: Student of relevant field.
- Documents required:
- Application process:
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more