At Fatima Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the beautiful coastal city of Cochin, which is located in the tropical Kerala state in south west India. Gain valuable work experience for your studies by working at a leading hospital in the region and get insight into specialist medical care in India. Furthermore, the location is a perfect spot to explore the authentic culture and nature of south India in your free time. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine and nursing. Pre-medical internships are also possible!
At a glance
Departments available for internships:
The hospital has an emergency department, outpatients department, laboratory, pharmacy, surgery theatres, intensive care unit, dialysis, a gynaecology department, and treatment rooms of the specialist doctors. There are specialists for diabetology, ophthalmology, urology, orthopaedics, gynaecology, ENT, cardiology, infertility, paediatrics, dermatology, neurosurgery, paediatric surgery and dentistry. The surgery theatres have modern equipment where large operations including heart surgery, organ transplantations, and hip and knee joint replacements are done.
Fatima Hospital is located in Perumpadappu, a suburb of Cochin, at the palm-fridged banks of Vembanad Lake, on a large natural plot. It is run by the Catholic dioceses of Cochin and was opened in 2007 on a small scale. Since then, they have been trying to raise the standard and expand the hospital. While in the beginning only basic medical services were offered to poorer parts of the nearby population, the hospital now has specialist doctors of excellent reputation, which attract patients from all over Kerala. The hospital is particularly proud of its cardiologist, who has the highest level of qualification for cardiologists in India (there are only 2 such highly qualified cardiologists in the whole of Kerala). The hospital is also a regional leader in hip and knee joint replacements and organ transplantations. With 24 hip replacements per year, Fatima Hospital is the hospital with the highest number of this surgical intervention in Cochin. The hospital owns two ambulance cars. Since 2013, there is also a boat ambulance which was sponsored by the Cochin Shipyard. Cochin consists of 10 main islands and patients can often be reached much faster by boat than by ambulance car. Furthermore, the region is prone to thunderstorms and fishermen are often hit by a lightning strike and can only be reached on the sea by a boat ambulance. Fatima hospital is also in charge of a home-based medical care program. The team consists of a general practitioner, a nurse and an assistant who mostly treat elderly patients at their homes. They can make use of a portable x-ray machine and laboratory. It also manages other medical institutions which are under the Catholic dioceses, including an old aged people's home, a home for terminal cancer patients, and a leprosies centre, and carries out medical camps for the poorest.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Must be a student of the relevant field (i.e. medicine or nursing).
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
- 1 year USD
- Project (hospital) contribution,
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and assistance with local registration (if required) but not the official government fees for the visa,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Cochin International Airport (COK) on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and Introduction in Cochin,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 600 Rs. airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
This do not include:
Travel to/from Cochin (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport,
(Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organisations charge further contributions.)