Do your healthcare elective or internship by assisting in a local hospital on a tropical paradise island! In Zanzibar you can gain valuable healthcare work experience for your studies while supporting healthcare provision for the local community. If you are a student of Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutics or Physiotherapy you can do your elective or internship at the state hospital Mnazi Mmoja while making a meaningful contribution and developing your intercultural skills.
When you are not working hard at the hospital you can spend your free time relaxing and rewinding while looking over the Indian Ocean or exploring the vibrant Swahili culture.
Click on the pictures
- Country: Tanzania, Zanzibar
- City: Zanzibar
- Departments available for internship: Paediatrics (there are two wards, one for children from 0-3 years old and one from 3-12 years old), Gynaecology, Internal Medicine (Gastrology, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Nephrology), Surgery, Dermatology, Dental, Intensive Care Unit, HIV-Ward, Leprosy Ward (those interested in the leprosy ward need proof of vaccination against tuberculosis), Neurosurgery, Radiology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Acupuncture, Emergency Services, Physio- and Occupational Therapy. For students of pharmaceutics, it is also possible to do a clinical elective in the hospital's pharmacy.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital: 10
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital: 16
- Number of assistant physicians: 20
- Number of nurses:
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff:
- Hospital description - further details: Mnazi Mmoja is the main hospital on the archipelago of Zanzibar. It is located at the Mnazi Mmoja area just outside Stone Town, the historic centre of Zanzibar Town. The department of Internal Medicine is separated by wards for women and men, each with 3 female and male physicians and clinical officers.
Mnazi Mmoja, Mental Hospital and Mwembeladu Maternity Hospital have a total capacity of 510 beds; out of which 64 beds are in the Internal Medicine ward.
The department of occupational therapy has a focus on (but is not limited to) children who have neurological disorders.
Mnazi Mmoja has been running a successful elective program for foreign students for many years.
The hospital also operates an acupuncture department. It is a well-integrated component of Mnazi Mmoja's treatment of certain problems including chronic pains, depression, impotence and the effects of a stroke. The department has already been founded in the 1960's and is famous in the whole of East Africa. Patients are not only travelling to Zanzibar from the Tanzanian mainland, but even from the neighbouring countries. Placements are possible for participants who want to learn about acupuncture as well as for specialists for whom the application of acupuncture in Africa will certainly also be a new experience.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: The minimum working hours at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital for elective students are Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m., but they can also stay in the afternoons. Every Thursday at 7:30 p.m., there is a meeting between the elective student and his/her supervising physician.
- What to bring: Students should bring their own white coat, clean shoes (clogs or new sneakers), single-use gloves, and if you want to join surgery, you should also bring scrubs, hairnet and surgical mask.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: Must be a student of the relevant field.
- Documents required:
- Application process:
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more