At Tagore Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in a large, private hospital located in the beautiful and unique city of Jaipur. You will gain valuable work experience for your studies by assisting with healthcare provision in this modernly equipped hospital, while also developing your intercultural skills through your daily interactions. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy. Pre-medical, pre-nursing and pre-midwifery internships are also possible!
Departments available for intership:
General Medicine, Internal Medicine, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Paediatrics, Surgery, Urology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Neurology, Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Psychiatry, Cardiology, Dentistry and physiotherapy. The hospital also has an intensive care unit, neonatal intensive care unit, laboratory & diagnostics, CT, digital X-ray, 24 hours pharmacy, 24 hour emergency service, and ambulance.
Compared to other private hospitals in India, the hospital is positioned in the middle price segment. It offers good quality services, but is still affordable for middle-class Indians of average income. All doctors speak English, but not all nurses and not all patients. Nevertheless, an internship at the hospital is possible without any knowledge of Hindi.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Interns can either be at just one department, or rotate through multiple departments. They will observe and support the staff on their ward in their daily work, and attend department meetings. After a period of familiarisation and orientation, interns may (depending on their previous knowledge) also carry out minor treatments and activities under the supervision of the attending physician, nurse or therapist, e.g. drug administration, wound care, measurements of vital signs, providing vaccinations and other assistance activities. Interns will be assigned a supervisor from their area of specialisation who will decide which examinations and treatments they are allowed to perform under his or her supervision. In case of pre-medical, pre-nursing and pre-midwifery internships, interns will mainly shadow and observe the work of nurses and doctors, and can of course ask a lot of questions! The working hours are usually from Monday to Friday from 8am to 1pm.
Interns should bring their own hospital clothes (white, green or blue medical coat and closed shoes of any colour). It is also advisable to bring hand sanitiser as well as a stethoscope. Those entering the surgery ward should also bring green or blue scrubs, a surgical mask and surgical cap.
Minimum age, maximum age:
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Costs per week:
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
Costs per month:
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
Costs per year:
- 1 year USD
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
-Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants,
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and assistance with local registration (if required) but not the official government fees for the visa,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Mumbai Airport (BOM) on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at our international office,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 600 Rs. airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
This do not include:
- Travel to/from India (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport,
(Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organisations charge further contributions.)
Request more information
I'm interested in a placement at this hospital. Please send me more information