At St. Joseph Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the beautiful Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania. While gaining valuable work experience you will also support local staff in their provision of healthcare to the community, as well as develop your intercultural skills. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy. Pre-medical, pre-nursing and pre-midwifery internships are also possible!
Click on the pictures
- Country: Tanzania
- City: Moshi
- Departments available for internship: Outpatient department, General medicine/Inner medicine, Tropical medicine, general surgery, gynaecology and maternity, paediatrics, mother and child pre and post natal care, "high dependence unit" (similar to an ICU, but not completely equipped as such), physiotherapy, laboratory, ultrasound, X-ray, mortuary incl. autopsy.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital: 5
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital: 3
- Number of assistant physicians: 42
- Number of nurses: 38
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff: 32
- Hospital description - further details: St. Joseph Hospital is located around 20 minutes outside of Moshi Town by public transport, in the Soweto area. The hospital is semi public, semi private. The municipality pays the salaries of all staff, as well as for the medicine; but the building, furniture and all medical equipment such as ultrasound and X-ray machines belong to a church institution.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department 150
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Students of medicine and nursing can do an elective placement or internship, either in just one department, or they can rotate through various departments. They will be assigned to a supervising physician or nurse who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, which might include drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.
The usual working hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3pm including one hour of lunch break. If you want, you can also work on Saturdays and Sundays. At the surgery theatre the working hours are usually from 10am to 8pm.
- What to bring: Interns/elective students/volunteers should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and hood.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: None.
- Documents required:
- Application process:
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more