At St. Joseph Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the beautiful Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania. While gaining valuable work experience you will also support local staff in their provision of healthcare to the community, as well as develop your intercultural skills. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing, midwifery and physiotherapy. Pre-medical, pre-nursing and pre-midwifery internships are also possible!
Departments available for intership:
Outpatient department, General medicine/Inner medicine, Tropical medicine, general surgery, gynaecology and maternity, paediatrics, mother and child pre and post natal care, "high dependence unit" (similar to an ICU, but not completely equipped as such), physiotherapy, laboratory, ultrasound, X-ray, mortuary incl. autopsy.
St. Joseph Hospital is located around 20 minutes outside of Moshi Town by public transport, in the Soweto area. The hospital is semi public, semi private. The municipality pays the salaries of all staff, as well as for the medicine; but the building, furniture and all medical equipment such as ultrasound and X-ray machines belong to a church institution.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Students of medicine and nursing can do an elective placement or internship, either in just one department, or they can rotate through various departments. They will be assigned to a supervising physician or nurse who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, which might include drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks. The usual working hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3pm including one hour of lunch break. If you want, you can also work on Saturdays and Sundays. At the surgery theatre the working hours are usually from 10am to 8pm.
Interns/elective students/volunteers should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and hood.
Minimum age, maximum age:
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Costs per week:
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
Costs per month:
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
Costs per year:
- 1 year USD
- Monthly hospital contribution of 200 USD.
- Additionally, a one-time registration fee at the Municipal Council of 50 USD applies.
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Arrangement of your Internship,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements for your Residence Permit or similar permit and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Kilimanjaro International Airport on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and introduction in Moshi,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day of internship,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 10,000 TSH airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
- 15% Discount for Safaris, Kilimanjaro Climbs, Excursions and Watersports Activities offered by "Budget Safari Tanzania".
This do not include:
- Travel to/from Tanzania (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport.
Request more information
I'm interested in a placement at this hospital. Please send me more information