At Marangu district hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship while surrounded by tropical rainforest at the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro. If you are a student of medicine, nursing or obstetrics you can gain valuable work experience while supporting a local hospital serving a rural population of around 300,000 people.
Click on the pictures
- Country: Tanzania
- City: Marangu
- Departments available for internship: The hospital has an outpatient department, general and internal medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, general abdominal surgery, and dental medicine. Twice per week CTC (Care & Treatment for HIV-positive patients), and once per week reproductive health counselling, are offered. Furthermore there is an outreach program for palliative care.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital: 8
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital:
- Number of assistant physicians:
- Number of nurses: 16
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff: 2
- Hospital description - further details: Marangu Hospital is a district hospital, located in the the dense tropical rainforest, which is spreading across the hills of the extensive village of Marangu on the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, around 40 km/25 miles outside of Moshi Town at an altitude of around 1300 m/4300 ft above sea level. It is owned and managed by the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Tanzania, serving a rural population of around 300,000 people from Marangu and the neighbouring districts.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department 55
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients 36,500
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Students of medicine, nursing and obstetrics can do an elective placement or internship. You can either be at just one department or rotate through multiple departments. You will observe and support the staff on your ward in their daily work. After a period of familiarisation and orientation, you may depending on previous knowledge also perform minor treatments and activities under the supervision of the attending physicians, nurses and therapists, e.g. administration of drugs, wound care, taking vital signs, and providing vaccinations. You will be assigned a supervisor from your area of specialisation who will decide which examinations and treatments you are allowed to perform under his or her supervision.
The shifts are usually from Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm. If you wish, you can also be at the hospital on the weekends or for night shifts.
- What to bring: Interns should bring their own work clothes (white, green or blue medical coat and closed shoes in any colour). It is also advisable to bring one's own hand sanitiser and stethoscope. If planning to work in the surgery room, please also bring green or blue scrubs, a surgical mask and surgical cap.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: Student of relevant field.
- Documents required:
- Application process:
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more