At Mahatma Gandhi Mission Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in a large, charitable hospital in the buzzing megacity of Mumbai. You will gain valuable work experience assisting in a modern hospital of high standards and get an insight into healthcare provision in one of the world's largest and busiest metropolises. Furthermore, you will contribute to the charitable trust's cause of offering free medical treatment to the poorest patients, whilst getting a chance to develop your intercultural skills through your daily interactions and work. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine, nursing and midwifery.
Departments available for intership:
General Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery, Neurosurgery, Dermatology, Paediatrics, Urology, ENT, Cardiology, Infectious Diseases, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Nephrology, and Neurology. The dental unit has its own 6-storey building and is equipped with all modern equipment. There are around 70-80 patients per day. The 8 departments within dentistry include Oral Medicine & Radiology, Oral Surgery, Prosthodontics, Periodontics and Gum Diseases, Conservative Dentistry, Children's Dentistry, Community Dentistry und Orthodontics.
MGM (Mahatma Gandhi Mission) operates a hospitals of high standards in Kamothe/Navi Mumbai, which is also a teaching hospitals of the MGM University of Health Science. The charitable trust provides many poor patients free medical treatment including surgeries, medicine and stay.
Typical day and tasks of an intern
Interns observe and assist the staff on their ward in their daily work. After a familiarisation and orientation phase students can (depending on previous knowledge) also carry out minor treatments and activities under the supervision of the attending physicians, nurses or therapists, e.g. drug delivery, wound care, vital signs measurements, vaccinations and other assistance activities. Interns will be assigned a supervisor from the students' area of specialisation, who will decide which examinations and treatments they are allowed to carry out under supervision. The working hours are usually from Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 3:30pm, however, it can also be arranged to do to do weekend- or night shifts.
Interns should bring their own hospital clothes (white, green or blue scrubs and closed shoes of any colour). It is also advisable to bring hand sanitiser and a stethoscope. Those who will enter the operating theatre should also bring green or blue surgical clothing, a surgical mask and surgical cap.
Minimum age, maximum age:
Minimum qualification of the intern:
Student of the relevant field (i.e. medicine, nursing or midwifery).
Applicants should email us, besides their resume in English, a recommendation letter from their university.
Applicants should email us the documents mentioned above.
Costs per week:
- 2 weeks USD
- 4 weeks USD
- 8 weeks USD
Costs per month:
- 3 months USD
- 6 months USD
Costs per year:
- 1 year USD
- Project (hospital) contribution of 10,000 Rs per month,
- World Unite! Service Package, which includes:
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with other participants,
- Arrangements of the Documents you need for your Visa Application and assistance with local registration (if required) but not the official government fees for the visa,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to Mumbai Airport (BOM) on arrival and departure,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and Introduction in Navi Mumbai,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 600 Rs. airtime credit,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.
This do not include:
Travel to/from Mumbai (you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Personal Expenses,
- Local Transport,
(Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organisations charge further contributions.)
Request more information
I'm interested in a placement at this hospital. Please send me more information