At Arco Iris Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the metropolis La Paz , which is located within the spectacular canyon of the Rio Chokeyapue. You will get a chance to work in what is considered the best hospital in La Paz while gaining valuable work experience for your studies and developing your intercultural skills. Arco Iris is a charitable hospital that offers free medical treatment to street children and children from poorer social classes, so your work will have a worthwhile impact. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine and nursing,
Click on the pictures
- Country: Bolivia
- City: La Paz
- Departments available for internship: The hospital has 15 outpatient consultation rooms, an emergency care unit with 7 beds, 4 surgery wards, an intensive care unit with 4 beds, 3 ambulance cars, a neonatal intensive care unit for 14 children, a laboratory, microbiology, mammography, radiology and tomography.
- Number of general practicioners at hospital:
- Number of specialist physicians at hospital:
- Number of assistant physicians:
- Number of nurses:
- Number of other specialist healthcare staff:
- Hospital description - further details: As a charitable hospital, street children and children from poor classes of society are offered medical treatment for free. Around 60% of the patients are street children and children from poor families; the remaining 40% are paying patients, out of which 2/3 are privately insured or paying directly, and 1/3 are members of public health insurance groups. The charitable services offered to street children and poor children are subsidised by the profits generated from the paying patients.
- Number of total beds at inpatient department 110 beds
- Approximate total annual number of outpatients
- Typical day and tasks of an intern: Interns will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse whom they will shadow and who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.
- What to bring: Interns should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes which they should only wear on the hospital premises (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.
- Minimum Age:
- Maximum Age:
- Minimum qualification of the intern: Relevant studies, and average Spanish.
- Documents required: CV, Letter of Recommendation from Med School, Transcript of Records, Police Clearance, Copy of Student ID, copy of passport and letter of motivation.
- Application process: After the student has sent all the necessary application documents, as well as potential ward and accommodation preferences, these will be submitted to the hospital. Usually the placement can be confirmed within one week, sometimes faster.
I'm interested in an internship at this hospital. Please send me more