At Arco Iris Hospital you can do your healthcare elective or internship in the metropolis La Paz , which is located within the spectacular canyon of the Rio Chokeyapue. You will get a chance to work in what is considered the best hospital in La Paz while gaining valuable work experience for your studies and developing your intercultural skills. Arco Iris is a charitable hospital that offers free medical treatment to street children and children from poorer social classes, so your work will have a worthwhile impact. Electives and internships are possible for students of medicine and nursing,

Hospital profile

Departments available for intership:

The hospital has 15 outpatient consultation rooms, an emergency care unit with 7 beds, 4 surgery wards, an intensive care unit with 4 beds, 3 ambulance cars, a neonatal intensive care unit for 14 children, a laboratory, microbiology, mammography, radiology and tomography.

City: La Paz
General practitioners: 0
Specialist physicians: 0
Assistant physicians: 0
Nurses: 0
Other especialists: 0
Annual outpatients 0
Total of beds: 110 beds

As a charitable hospital, street children and children from poor classes of society are offered medical treatment for free. Around 60% of the patients are street children and children from poor families; the remaining 40% are paying patients, out of which 2/3 are privately insured or paying directly, and 1/3 are members of public health insurance groups. The charitable services offered to street children and poor children are subsidised by the profits generated from the paying patients.

{"autoplay":"true","autoplay_speed":"3000","speed":"300","arrows":"true","dots":"true","rtl":"false"}

Intership profile

Typical day and tasks of an intern

Interns will be attached to a supervising physician or nurse whom they will shadow and who decides which examinations and treatments the student can carry out under their supervision, including drug administration, wound care, taking vital signs, giving vaccinations and assisting with other tasks.

Interns should bring their own scrubs (white, green or blue), closed shoes which they should only wear on the hospital premises (colour doesn't matter). It is furthermore recommended to bring one's own hand disinfection liquid and one's own stethoscope. Those who want to join surgery should please bring green or blue surgery scrubs, face mask and medical hair nets.

Application process

Minimum age, maximum age:


Minimum qualification of the intern:


Relevant studies, and average Spanish.

Documents required:


CV, Letter of Recommendation from Med School, Transcript of Records, Police Clearance, Copy of Student ID, copy of passport and letter of motivation.

Application instructions:


After the student has sent all the necessary application documents, as well as potential ward and accommodation preferences, these will be submitted to the hospital. Usually the placement can be confirmed within one week, sometimes faster.

Costs per week:
  • 2 weeks 0 USD
  • 4 weeks 0 USD
  • 8 weeks 0 USD
Costs per month:
  • 3 months 0 USD
  • 6 months 0 USD
Costs per year:
  • 1 year 0 USD

Intership details

This include:


- Weekly hospital contribution of 150 USD,
- Accommodation,
- Individual Consultation and Preparation prior to your arrival,
- Access to the World Unite! Online Resource Centre which has Preparation Materials including Intercultural Preparation, compiled particularly for your destination (PDFs, Videos),
- Preparation Session via Skype, together with further participants,
- Assistance with visa extension in Bolivia or arrangement of visa (depending on duration of stay) and other official permits (if required), but not the official government fees for it/them,
- Pick-up and Transfers from/to La Paz/El Alto (LPB) on arrival and departure,
- Assistance with the booking of domestic connection flights within Bolivia if you arrive in Cochabamba or ViruViru,
- Personal support staff at your location and at our international office,
- Orientation and Introduction in La Paz,
- Accompanying you to your placement on your first day,
- 24 Hours emergency support by local support team,
- Local SIM Card with 60 Bs. air time,
- Issuance of Confirmations/Certificates for your university, scholarship, insurance, etc. and filling out/signing Internship Contracts for your university.

This do not include:


- Meals,
- Travel to/from Bolivia (you book it on your own or we can assist you),
- Official fees for Visa,
- Insurance (Travel Health Insurance, Liability Insurance, Travel Cancellation insurance; you can book it on your own or we can assist you)
- Personal Expenses,
- Vaccinations,
- Local Transport,
(Please note that for supervised/mentored internships, some organisations charge further contributions).

Request more information

I'm interested in a placement at this hospital. Please send me more information